Das Blog
Thursday, April 27, 2006
  Suburban white middle class guilt
We had a student visit the animal shelter to see if she maybe wanted a career in animal care. My guess is her answer at the end of the day is 'No'. The clincher may have been when she asked if it was ok to pet Mattes, and I said 'Sure, but be careful he has a diarrhea problem and stinks, watch out for his butt, but he's really sweet!' She made a face and decided to mop the floor instead.

Somehow this underscores the distateful contradiction to me working there too. While hosing shit it occured to me: Wait a minute, I don't even clean my OWN house, I pay someone else to do it. Yet here I am hosing cat shit for FREE...

There's a confusing irony in this situation.
I feel kind of pathetic volunteering my free time cleaning up after homeless animals, just so I don't feel guilty for being so affluent and lazy. Wouldn't it make more sense if I just cleaned my own damn apartment and paid my cleaning woman to go to the animal shelter-- just cut out the middle man?

But see I feel
good about cleaning cat cages, and I feel aversion to cleaning my own mess. I don't have time for that, I have volunteer work to do! (I feel like the rich lady in that Dorothy Parker short story "Song of the Shirt, 1941")

Anyone who's spent an hour with me knows I'm loaded down with "suburban white middle class guilt" which sums up my feelings about my cushy, priviledged, life of sloth. Consider that about half the world's population doesn't have access to clean drinking water, and I shower in it and hose down cat cages with it! This just doesn't seem fair.

But why's everyone else apparently immune to this guilt? Think of the celebrities who go to Africa to volunteer, while at home they have people cleaning their houses, cooking their food and maintenancing their toenails. Do they feel guilty?

So the question is do I continue to work at the animal shelter and feel good about it, or am I being a pathetic (comparatively) rich lady who's just trying to soothe her own conscience?
 
Comments:
"While hosing shit it occured to me: Wait a minute, I don't even clean my OWN house, I pay someone else to do it. Yet here I am hosing cat shit for FREE..."

thats the funniest thing i've read in a while!!! Perfect time for an epiphany ;)

No i hear you and i agree. But dont forget that you cleaning lady probably doesn't have what it takes to pass that exam to take care of animals. Maybe what you can do is setup a similar situation where you create a House Cleaner Certificate and then get other suburbanites to feel good about coming over and cleaning your palce for free. By comparison, they will be richer and guiltier than you!

I have the same feelings really but more directed at helping unfortunate people not animals. Maybe you could try that instead. at least that way theres no cat shit to be hosed.
n
 
thanks for understanding, n. Are there any unfortunate people where you live? I thought they were all tan and beautiful and rich (like you!)

and scroll back to my original post and see how far I got trying to help out unfortunate people. There are none, the government pays someone to help them and they still complain.
 
Yes, Comrade Major-Commissar?
hydrocodone side effects
 
Utah football dropped 10 spots to No. 21 in the AP Top 25 NFL Jerseys and nine spots to No. 20 in the coaches poll after the team's 30-28 loss to Oregon Saturday. The christian louboutin shoes Utes were the biggest nfl jerseys store fallers in both polls this week, ranked behind fellow Pac-12 teams Washington (No. 5 in coaches poll, No. 6 in AP Top 25), Colorado (No. 9 in both louboutin outlet polls), USC (No. 12 in both polls), and ahead of Washington State (No. Nike Free Run 23 Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes in Nike Roshe Run both polls). The top five of the coaches poll shifted, Alabama remaining at No. 1 and wholesale nfl jerseys Ohio State at Nike Air Max 90 No. 2 followed by Clemson, Michigan and Washington. Alabama and Ohio State remained at No. 1 cheap nfl jerseys and No. 2 in the AP Top 25, followed by No. 3 Michigan, No. 4 Clemson christian louboutin uk and No. 5 Wisconsin.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Köln, Nordrhein Westfalen, Germany

Washingtonian living in Germany, which is really cute (except when it's not.)

I tend to get cranky very easily. And I'm a BIG complainer. Consider yourself warned.

Currently reading: The Information by Martin Amis
Just finished: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Back to the Regular Complaining
Lord Malte von Putbus
Vacation: More of This (nudity)
They're Writing This Stuff for Me
News Flash: Germans Named Europe's "Least Friendly"
Daily Complaint: The Weather
Nice Haystacks
Sunday Brunch Das Blog Style
Suburban White Middle Class Guilt
Lord Vader's Handicapped Parking Space
Homer-esque Fantasy
Blog on Blog Action
More Funny Names
Animal Shelter: Day One
Nude Shower Scene
Funny Names
Speaking of Cake...
World Class B.O.
Me Walk Pretty One Day

Archives
March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /


Powered by Blogger


Who links to me?